Sunday, August 31, 2008

Murphy's Law

On Friday night Aaron was working until about 2am Saturday morning so I sat down and watched a really good show on tv - The Count of Monte Cristo. I've never seen it before and I really enjoyed it.

About 15 minutes after the movie finished (about 11.30pm) I closed my eyes and started to doze off when all of a sudden I heard Lauren walking towards our bedroom coughing and crying.

When she reached me she was wheezing and she was having a really hard time breathing. She has suffered from mild asthma before but only when she's had a chest infection - she's never had an asthma attack just out of the blue. I was so scared I didn't know what to do. I'd just been through this with my niece a couple of months ago and here I was faced with the same situation with my baby girl and since Aaron was at work I was having a hard time working out what I should do.

First of all I thought I'd take her into the bathroom and turn on a hot shower and let her breathe the steam but then I wasn't sure if that would work. Then I thought I'd have to wake up poor Ashleigh and put them both in the car (in the freezing cold mind you) and take her to the hospital. But then I remembered that I had some left over liquid ventalin capsule things - only problem was, I didn't have a nebuliser.

A good friend of mine has a nebuliser but I didn't really want to call her at midnight - especially to ask her if SHE could bring it to ME because Ashleigh was fast asleep in bed and I thought it would be difficult getting a child into the car who was having an asthma attack and waking up Ash to drag her out in the freezing cold at midnight.

But then I remembered the last time I borrowed it from her she gladly lent it to me and said "Call me anytime if you need to borrow it. Even if you need it in the middle of the night". So out of desperation I did just that. Luckily her hubby was still awake (thanks M) and he answered her mobile (I didn't want to call her home phone and wake up her kids).

Without hesitation he brought it around and I managed to get Lauren to inhale the ventolin and within minutes her breathing stabilised.

I am so grateful to have friends who I can call on whenever, wherever. I don't know what I would have done without her, thanks S.

So guess what I'm looking at buying this week!?? Yep, you guessed it - a nebuliser!! Just in case this happens again.

But tell me, why is it these things ALWAYS seem to happen in the middle of the bl#%dy night AND when your husband's not home!!??

1 comment:

glo.riah said...

scary!!
glad you have such reliable friends!!