Monday, July 07, 2008

Finally Finished

I finally finished my book on Friday night.


I started reading it because so many people were talking about this series so I wanted to find out what they were all going on about. I knew it was about vampires - that's why it took me so long to make up my mind about reading it but when I found out it was written by a Latter Day Saint I thought "how bad can it be?"

It took me a while to get into it at first but by a third of the way through it started to get interesting so it didn't take me as long to read the 2nd half as it did the 1st half!

I'm off to get the next one in the series - because I have to know what happens next......



Does that make me a TWILIGHTER now???

I can't wait until the movie comes out in September - it's always interesting to see if a movie is anything like the book!

Not much else going on.

It's the first day of holidays today and I need to sit down and plan the next two weeks - who's coming over for a play and where we're going to go that's cheap or FREE to keep the girls amused!

Ashleigh and I will probably go to the movies to see Kung Fu Panda on Wednesday while Lauren's at pre-school.

I went to go and visit an old friend yesterday. It was a very surreal experience.

This friend is only 39 with a young family and he's dying of cancer. He's only been given 2 weeks to live. I was so composed before going in to see him - I thought I was strong but when I saw him and when he started talking to me about the old days I just lost it.

He and his wife were the leaders of the Young Single Adult group at church when I was 19 years old. It was a time when I had some of the best experiences of my life. We shared some incredibly good times - going to conventions in Queensland and the many activities we did as a group - good times. He asked me to give him a hug and when I hugged him he was so frail.

Oh great, the song "In the arms of an angel" just came on in the background - doesn't help!!!

I never know what to say to people in this situation, in the end I just said "I'm going to miss you Marty" - he replied "I'm going to miss you too but I'll see you on the other side".

As you can imagine - I was a mess when it was time to leave.

It makes you want to enjoy every single moment here on earth! Don't take anything for granted!

1 comment:

glo.riah said...

wow.
what a sobering post.
makes my problems seem so trivial.
thank you for the wake up call, mel!!