Friday, September 05, 2008

That Thing You Do!

Lauren has this thing where she puts her hand up to her "ear" to listen to something that is off in the distance.

Only, she doesn't quite get her hand to her ear - she kind of cups her cheek .....



It's hilarious to watch. She's such a nut case!!

Ashleigh likes to play along!!



We had Lauren assessed yesterday - just to find out exactly what was wrong with her. She has been diagnosed with a mild intellectual disability.

When the guy told me my heart sank and I'll admit it, I felt a little disappointed. He said that she won't grow out of it (like I have been hoping all these years) but that she will always be a bit slow and that it will only get harder as the years pass as she will become more aware of her inability to do certain things.

You can imagine how heartbreaking that news was but, at the end of the day, I'm happy.

I'm happy because she is such a beautiful little girl who is carefree and a joy to be around (most of the time).

I'm happy because I know she has been sent to a family who will love her unconditionally.

I'm happy because she makes us ALL laugh every day!

I'm happy because we can all learn to have patience.

I'm happy because I love a challenge.

I'm happy because ....

SHE'S happy.

And that's all that matters right!??!

So, there's more Speech Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Early Intervention on the agenda for next year!!

With that said, I'm off to get some housework done and sit down and read my book! Aaron's got Lauren for a couple of hours so I'm going to take advantage of it!

Great weather for reading a book - it's cold and wet!! What's with this weather - beautiful one day, miserable the next!?!

1 comment:

glo.riah said...

hugs, girly.

you are right.
God sent her to the perfect
family.

xoxo